Loyal JW's are punished when family members & friends leave the organization.
The Watchtower forbids them from associating with anyone who leaves.
Disfellowshipping is judging and shunning.
- 'Sometimes I want to ask God why he allows human religious leaders to assume His authority and be so unkind when he could do something about it. But then I'm afraid he might ask me the same question.' Anonymous
What Is The Truth?
Critics say that JW's judicial committiees and disfellowshipping is a rejection of Christ. Jesus taught his followers not to judge. Jesus said that God is kind to the 'ungrateful and wicked'. Those who love their 'enemies' become 'sons of the Most High'. Luke 6:27-41
Jehovah's Witnesses sometimes email us and criticize this site because they feel it makes them 'look bad'. We're sorry that the truth makes them look bad. Certainly it's not our intention.
JW's love the truth. And that's what this site is all about. Our ministry is about helping JW's who are experiencing emotional pain and suffering because of their religious beliefs.
The organization falsely claims to be 'the truth' when in fact they can and have made mistakes like any other religion.  Because they have no divine inspiration, some or even all of what they teach could be incorrect. In spite of their imperfections, the organization condemns all other religions and says God will destroyed them at armageddon.  Only Jehovah's Witnesses have any scriptural hope of being saved. WT Sept 1989
If anything we say is not the truth and you can prove it, please let us know and we'll gladly delete it. If you love the truth, you shouldn't have any problem with this site. If you see an error, please point it out and let us know why we're wrong. We can mistakes too, and are more than happy to correct them when we fall short because of our human imperfections.
We are on a spiritual AND physical life saving mission that is benefiting thousands of depressed and unhappy JW's. See Mental Illness This ministry also benefits those who are interested in the faith and want to know the truth. They want to know the pros and cons before they join and get baptized.
Religion Vs God.
The truth is that the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses are good people. They're friendly, caring, and concerned about their neighbors just like Jesus taught. As someone who might be interested in their faith, you may be attracted to their community. On the surface, love for one another is what people see. Many Jehovah's Witnesses stay in the organization for decades, totally unaware of why good people, Ministerial Servants, Elders, and top leaders leave the organization every day.
How does the organization keep it's secrets safe? Because only Elders have access to the rules of the organization and how they are to be enforced. Also JW's are not allowed to discuss spiritual matters with those who leave, - i.e. 'apostates'. Thankfully, we were able to obtain a copy immediately after the handbook for Elders that was released in 2010. Most Jehovah's Witnesses still don't have this information.
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that their organization keeps no secrets from them. But indeed they do. Jehovah's Witnesses believe they have 'the truth' and are much more worthy of eternal life than everyone else because of their righteousness and affiliation with 'God's faithful and discreet slave', the Watchtower.
At congregation meetings and in their literature, Jehovah's Witnesses don't see any firm and rigid 'rules'. They see a way of life, outlined by God, for their benefit. They see 'common sense' and believe their doctrines are firmly based on God's Word. They are taught to exercise their conscience and be the best they can be, because it is required by God. Everything is presented to them in a way that implies JW's answer only to God, not the organization.
The truth is this. Since 1985 Jehovah's Witnesses have been dedicating their life to God AND the 'spirit-directed' organization of Jehovah's Witnesses, contrary to what Jesus commanded in Matthew 28:18,19. See Baptism Vows What this means is the Witnesses must obey the organization. They only have two choices. They must remain united and be loyal. They must fully cooperated with 'God's slave', the Governing Body of JW's.
Fully cooperating with the organization means following all the rules. Disobedience is not an option. Following the rules is not just a matter of conscience. It is required by the organization. The rules are clearly stated in the secret document for Elders only, Shepherd the Flock of God
Failure to follow all the rules, can lead to disfellowshipping and a complete cutting off from all close personal relationships. Since JW's are discouraged from having close friends outside the organization, disfellowshipping and shunning is exceptionally harsh.
Respect Vs Devotion To Elders.
JW's are good people and they know it. That's one of the things they love about their religion. They are taught to be meek, mild, and humble. Unfortunately their leadership does not practice what they preach. They boastfully claim to represent the Creator of the Universe. They say they are a 'theocratic organization', meaning that it's run by God through his representatives. As 'God's faithful and discreet slave', they say they are God's channel of communication. Rebellion against the organization is thought to be virtually the same as rebellion against God.
The Watchtower says this, 'And should we not strive to be obedient and submissive to those taking the lead in our local congregation?' WT, Nov 15, 2009, Article: 'Treasure Your Place in the Congregation', par 5.
Some Witness say, 'well, isn't that true in all religions? Catholics have priests. Christians have ministers. Jews have rabbi's. We have Elders. What's wrong with that?' The question we ask in return is this. Are you saying that your religion is just as good as the 'false religions' the Watchtower says God will destroy at armageddon because their religious leaders have misled the people? [1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e]
It is true that in any religion, teachers and leaders are respected. In fact they might be called 'Reverend' or 'Father'. However there is a huge difference between being respectful and being obedient. Religious leaders are respected. Watchtower leaders are obeyed. [2a, 2b] That's the difference.
Christians obey God. They have no other Gods. Jehovah's Witnesses obey God AND the organization. They have two masters.
If a JW prays to God and he gives them an answer, that answer must harmonize with the teachings of the organization. If it doesn't, they are forced to choose between obedience to God and obedience to Elders. If they obey Elders, they dishonor God by putting Him in second place. God is the path to eternal life. However if they put God first, they risk public humiliation, disfellowshipping, shunning, loss of their religion, depression, loneliness, and despair.
Happiness For Disfellowshipped JW's.
When anyone loses their family and close friends, they go through a grieving process. With professional help, the grieving process can be a few weeks or months. Without help, grief can destroy a person's entire life. The key is to get professional help right away and not to wait.
The reality is that any pain that a disfellowshipped person feels is inflicted upon themselves. No one can make us feel bad unless we allow it. Our happiness depends upon what we think about. It's a choice. We can choose to be thankful for what we have and be hopeful about the future, or we can choose to dwell on things we've lost. Whatever we think about, we get more of.
God can only give us what we think about. If our mind is filled with love, appreciation, and thankfulness, God brings even more love and happiness into our life. When we focus on lonliness, guilt, lack of love, and unhappiness, we attract more of the same. The choice is ours. But we are never alone.
Tons of help is available for disfellowshipped JW's and recovery can be very quick if they ask for help right away to overcome the painful emotions they feel. If they don't ask for professional help, recovery can take years. Some needlessly live with guilt, fear, anger, lonliness, and depression for decades. By then they've wasted most of their life. The key is to look for help right away. That way JW's can create an amazing life after disfellowshipping.
1a. 'The release of the anointed in 1919 from the abyss of inactivity stung Christendom’s clergy and demonstrated Jehovah’s total rejection of her. From 1922 down to today, the huge cavalry has killed Christendom, spiritually speaking, exposing her dead condition and warning of her coming destruction.' WT April 1, 1990, Questions From Readers, 'When did the seven angelic trumpet blasts of Revelation begin to sound?'
1b. 'Jesus, however, taught the first Christians to pray, “Let your kingdom come. Let your will come to pass,” but Christendom’s clergy pray for the United Nations as man’s only hope. The leaders in government and religion are blind guides, just as Jesus said: “Every plant that my heavenly Father did not plant will be uprooted. Let them be. Blind guides is what they are. If, then, a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit.” (Matt. 15:13, 14) In the pit is where all the foolish ones will find themselves at the battle of Armageddon.' WT, Jan 1, 1961, Article: 'Build to the Future', par 3.
1c. 'None of the mighty, missile-brandishing nations of this nuclear age will be able to save face, glory or honor when Jehovah executes judgment on them at Armageddon. The proud clergy of Christendom’s sects, together with the “majestic ones” of their flock, will likewise perish in dishonor.' WT, Aug 15, 1961, Article: 'Honoring Jehovah', par 13
1d. 'The fiery furnace of the illustration in which the weeds were destroyed finds its fulfillment in the coming battle of Armageddon. At that time the large crop of weeds that Christendom has produced under her unscriptural clergy and laity system will be consumed in the fiery destruction of God’s wrath.' WT, Oct 1, 1960, Article: 'The Great Wheat Harvest', Subtitle: 'Separating Wheat From Weeds', 5th par
1e. 'Because the clergy have no spiritual food, ... Soon Armageddon’s war will wipe out heathendom and Christendom.' WT Feb 15, 1954, Article: 'Spiritual Apathy Torments Clergy.', last par
2a. JW's know Jehovah is a jealous God. Jealous God's don't share, just like a jealous husband won't share his wife with another man. True Christians put God first, not man. The Watchtower says this, 'Jehovah is “a jealous God,” and no one can serve him acceptably while revering other gods.' WT July 15, 2005, Article: 'Jehovah's Sword and Gideon's! Subtitle: ' “Let Baal Make a Legal Defense” '
2b. Religious leaders are respected. Watchtower leaders are 'obeyed'. Even though the Watchtower teaches that Jehovah is a jealous God, here's what they say, 'And should we not strive to be obedient and submissive to those taking the lead in our local congregation?' WT, Nov 15, 2009, Article: 'Treasure Your Place in the Congregation', par 5.
3. Even though the organization claims to be theocratic, i.e. run by God through his representatives, on rare occasions they've admitted that mistakes are possible and they have no divine inspiration
4. The Bible condemns extortion. Psalms 62:10 NIV, NLT, ESV; Lev 6:4 NIV, NLT, NASB; Ezekiel 18:18 NIV, ESV, NASB; ... Is disfellowshipping the same as extortion? 1 Cor 6:10; Some say it is. They say it's manipulative and an abuse of religious authority. Here's how it works. You must obey us. If you do not, we will humiliate you publicly. We will pressure your family and friends to shun you. They will not say a greeting. People will walk right by you as if you are invisible. They will pretend they didn't see you. Your former religion will hold everyone you care about hostage until you publicly admit wrong doing and come back to us. Read why disfellowshipping is practiced in the Watchtower religion. WT April 15, 1988, Article: 'Discipline That Can Yield Peaceable Fruit'
5. Here's the truth from God's word about how to inherit eternal life. No mention is made of the Watchtower or any religion because obeying religious leaders is not the path to salvation. God asks that we love him with ALL our heart, soul, strength, and mind. The Bible says this. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." Luke 10:25-28
6. It is interesting that those who leave the JW's and talk negatively about the WT are 'hated'. See Apostate Jehovah's Witnesses. George Orwell said this, 'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more they will hate those who speak it.'
Learn more about the process of judgment, disfellowship, and shunning within the Watchtower organization.
- What The Bible Says About Disfellowshipping
- VIDEO: Anointed Member Of The 144,000 Gets Disfellowshipped!
- Disfellowshipped From God's Organization?
- Do Not Say A Greeting 1 John 1:10
- Expel the Wicked Man 1 Cor 5:13
- Disfellowshipping Jehovah's Witnesses
- Are Disfellowshipped Jehovah's Witnesses Immoral?
- Are Disfellowshipped Jehovah's Witnesses Bad?
- Should Enemies of the Organization Be Disfellowshipped
- Disfellowshipping Keeps Jehovah's Organization Clean
- Did The Apostle Paul Recommend Disfellowshipping and Shunning? 1 Cor. 5:11
- What Did The Apostle Paul Say About Disfellowshipping? 1 Cor. 5:11
- Are Judicial Committees and Disfellowshipping Christian?
- Why True Christians Avoid Disfellowshipping
- Reasons For Disfellowshipping - Elders Manual
- What Good Does Disfellowshipping Do?
- Did Early Christians Practice Disfellowshipping?
- How To Handle People Who Leave The Jehovah's Witnesses
- What Is The Best Way To Keep Jehovah's Organization Clean?
- Disfellowshipping In The Early Christian Congregation - Edward Gibbon
- An Alternative To Disfellowshipping
- What Does The Bible Say About Disfellowshipping?
- What Did Jesus Say About Disfellowshipping?
- Keeping Jehovah's Organization Clean
- What are the benefits of disfellowshipping?
- Good Reasons Why Jehovah's Witnesses Should Not Have A Judicial Committee System.
- Jehovah's Witnesses Judicial Committee System. My Experience.
- Disfellowshipping. My Experience.
- Thirty Years After Being Disfellowshipped. My Life Now.
- Should I Leave The Jehovah's Witnesses?
- Leaving Jehovah's Witnesses
- Leaving The Jehovah's Witnesses
- Leaving The Watchtower
- Religious Traps
- See all Disfellowshipping Articles