Since 1952, the Watchtower has required Jehovah's Witnesses not to associate with family members and friends who leave the organization.   
Why do JW's obey? Why do they give up their family for their religion? One reason is that the majority of people in any religion are 'sheep' or 'sheeple' . They are followers and they're afraid to question authority.
Some organizations have real authority. e.g. the laws of your country must be respected. Terrorist groups and gangsters threaten physical violence to command authority.
The Watchtower commands authority through deception, fear, and intimidation.  Control and manipulation is one of the characteristics of a cult.
They will turn your loved ones against you and/or hold them hostage until you admit guilt and return to the cult.   If your loved ones continue associating with you, they are challenging the Watchtower's authority and risk being disfellowshipped (excommunicated) as well. 
The Watchtower has brainwashed the minds of JW's into believing they have the authority of Jehovah. i.e. God doesn't speak to anyone except Watchtower's leaders and therefore the only way to worship God is to obey 'God's organization', God's 'channel of communication' and God's 'faithful slave', ... etc.
e.g. instead of saying the Watchtower requires loyalty, they'll say 'Jehovah requires loyalty'. Instead of saying 'the Watchtower requires obedience', they'll say 'Jehovah requires obedience'.
Thus in the minds of JW's, they are not being loyal to the Watchtower. They are being loyal to God. It's a trick, smoke and mirrors, ... a deception.
God and the Watchtower organization have become the same in the minds of Jehovah's Witnesses. If the Watchtower said it, God said it. And if God said it, the Watchtower said it.
That's why you can show a JW a scripture disproving what they believe and they'll say, 'Yes that's what the Bible says, but that's not what it means'. Then they'll parrot back, almost word for word what the Watchtower told them the scripture means, - even if there is no scriptural basis for what they believe.
The Watchtower has done an excellent job hiding who they really are. The general public doesn't know the Watchtower has broken up millions of families since 1952. JW's are too embarrassed to admit the truth. Instead of being totally honest, they hide important information in order to protect 'God's organization'.  
The Bible says that Satan masquerades as an angel of light. 2 Cor. 11:14;
Here are three Watchtower masks. Can you name a few more?
How do we know the Watchtower's authority doesn't come from God?
The Watchtower teaches hatred. 
The Watchtower has broken up millions of families and close friendships since 1952. JW's are required to shun everyone who leaves the organization (except for immediate family members living in the same house). 
God never abandons us. God doesn't shun. He doesn't stop associating with us. Jesus told us not to judge. God doesn't hate. The Bible says God is 'kind to the ungrateful and wicked', ... by loving our neighbors and enemies we become 'sons of the Most High' Luke 6:35;
The Watchtower's love is not God's love. JW's are loved as long as they are loyal supporters of the Watchtower Society. If a JW refuses to obey, their parents, children, brothers, sisters, and other loved ones are used as live bait to lure the JW back into the cult.  
The Watchtower does not take responsibility for their shunning practices. In fact they attempt to hide truthful information from the general public and persons interested in joining. They hide the truth just like Adam and Eve hid their 'nakedness' from God when they first sinned. Genesis 2:25; Genesis 3:1-11  
The Watchtower hides the truth from JW's as well. Look at the evidence. e.g. Instead of being proud of the hatred and religious intolerance that they teach, they blame JW's who leave, Jehovah, and Jesus for breaking up families.         
Even though JW's are tricked into believing they follow the Bible, they are wrong. The Watchtower controls and manipulates the Bible just like they control and manipulate JW's.  
In the movies, heroes are strong. They will fight to the end. They are fearless. They're not afraid of death or torture. Nothing can break them. But threaten to harm a loved one, and they'll give up without a fight. They'll put down their weapons and surrender.
This is how the Watchtower controls Jehovah's Witnesses. If a JW wants to leave, not only will they be punished, but their loved ones will be punished as well. This pressures many JW's into staying. And it pressures those who leave into returning to the organization.
1. Definition of 'sheeple' on Wikipedia
3. What does the Bible say about obeying the False Prophet? Deut. 18:21,22
4. Mind Control
5. Religious Persecution of JW's who leave the Watchtower
6. This Watchtower publication, Shepherd the Flock of God, is off limits to Jehovah's Witnesses because it outlines the rules of the Watchtower and appropriate punishments. It is secret information because JW's are led to believe they obey only Jehovah. The truth is hidden from JW's unless they have achieved the rank of Elder or higher through appointment (not election).
7. JW's cover up and hide the fact that they are not allowed to associate with loved ones and friends who leave the organization. As an example of this, read what these JW's say when asked the question, are Jehovah's Witnesses right, wrong, or a cult? Notice that not even one JW mentions that they shun everyone who leaves the Watchtower Society.
8. We've heard some former JW's refer to 'emotional blackmail'. Can we really apply this to the Watchtower's requirement of shunning JW's who leave? Yes or no? What do you think? Speak your mind on our Facebook page. Blackmail is 'The crime involving a threat for purposes of compelling a person to do an act against his or her will, or for purposes of taking the person's money or property. ... In blackmail the threat might consist of physical injury to the threatened person or to someone loved by that person, or injury to a person's reputation. ... Although blackmail is generally synonymous with Extortion, some states distinguish the offenses by requiring that the former be in writing. ... Blackmail is punishable by a fine, imprisonment, or both.' The Free Dictionary . Com
9. The God's Organization mask
11. The Faithful and Discreet Slave mask
12. Watchtower law. Shun Your Children, Parents, and Siblings! Read this article from JW.ORG, the official website of JW's. Every time you see the word 'Jehovah', replace it with the words 'The Watchtower'. What do you notice when you do this?
13. On rare occasions they have admitted having NO DIVINE INSPIRATION (perhaps as a legal disclaimer in case of law suits).
14. Disfellowshipping and shunning began in 1952. Originally shunning was a tool to keep immoral people out of 'God's organization'. Today it's a tool to silence and control JW's who refuse to bow down and obey.
15. Why Jehovah's Witnesses Are Wrong. (12 Watchtower Teachings That Are NOT Bible Based.)
16. Theocratic Lies, - how the organization hides the truth from non believers and even Jehovah's Witnesses.
17. 2013 Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses. Video: Shun Your Family